"On December 22nd, 1702, in the little Scottish hamlet of Haughfoot, a Lodge of Masons was founded. It flourished for 61 years until 1763, and apparently disappeared into thin air."
So wrote Bro. H. Carr in his history of the Lodge at Haughfoot (Trans. Ars Quatuor Coronati Lodge No 2076 (E.C.), vol. Lxiii, 1950, pp 255-303).
Although nothing now remains of the Hamlet of Haughfoot, the minute book of the Lodge is still in existence. It records some of the most important events in early the history of Freemasonry. In the first minute, the names of the three founding members are recorded
here for posterity:-
John Hoppringle of Torsonce (Laird of Torsonce)
James Pringle (Torsonce's Brother)
Andrew Thomson (probably a local lawyer in Galashiels)